User Preferences

To adjust NetWitness to best fit your environment and work practices, you can set your own global application preferences. You can:

• Change the application language
  • Set the application time zone
  • Set the date and time formats
  • Select your default NetWitness starting location
  • Select your default Investigate view
  • Choose a dark or light theme for the application
  • Change your password
  • Enable notifications
  • Enable context menus
  • Change Investigate preferences - Described in the NetWitness Investigate User Guide.

Your global preference options vary depending on whether you access them, such as Springboard, Investigate, Respond, Users, Hosts, Files, Dashboard, Reports, Configure, and Admin. There are two global user preferences dialogs accessible from the main menu bar:

• User Preferences dialog - Accessible from these views: Springboard, Investigate > Events (formerly Event Analysis), Respond, Users, Hosts, Files, and netwitness_configureicon_24x21.png (Configure) > (Capture Policies, Incident Rules, Incident Notifications, and Log Parser Rules).
  • Preferences dialog - Accessible from these views: Investigate, Dashboard, Reports, netwitness_configureicon_24x21.png (Configure) > (Live Content, Subscriptions, ESA Rules, and Custom Feeds), and netwitness_adminicon_25x22.png (Admin) .

What do you want to do?

Role I want to ... Show me how
All Change my Password Change My Password Section
All Choose my Default Landing Page Setting Up Your Default View by SOC Role
All Set my User Preferences Setting User Preferences

Related Topics

User Preferences

To access your user preferences, click your username, for example, netwitness_admin_icon_52x15.png.
The User Preferences dialog shows your current preferences and the NetWitness version.

netwitness_userpreferences_288x569.png

The following table describes the global application preference options that you can access from the User Preferences dialog.

Option Description

Language

(This option applies to NetWitness 11.2 and later.)
Sets the preferred language for the entire NetWitness Platform. The default language is English (United States).

Time Zone

Sets the time zone to use in NetWitness.

Date Format

Sets the format for the order of the display of the month (MM), day (DD), and year (YYYY). For example, the MM/DD/YYYY format shows the date as 05/11/2017.

Time Format

Sets the time as 12-hour or 24-hour time. For example, 2:00 PM in 12-hour time is 14:00 in 24-hour time.

Default Landing Page

Enables you to select the default view when you log in to NetWitness. You can choose Springboard, Investigate, Respond, Users, Hosts, Files, Dashboard, Reports, netwitness_configureicon_24x21.png (Configure) , and netwitness_adminicon_25x22.png (Admin) , according to your user role. For example, you can choose Respond to go directly to the relevant section of the application for Incident Responders.
This selection sets the default view for the entire application.

Default Investigate View

(This option applies to NetWitness 11.1 and later.) Select the default landing page for the Investigate view. You can choose Navigate, Legacy Events (if enabled), Events (formerly Event Analysis), or Malware Analysis as the default Investigate view. For example, you can choose Events for the default Investigate view to go directly to the Events page to view the events generated for a service.

Theme

(This option applies to NetWitness 11.1 and later.)
Changes the appearance of the Respond view and some Investigate views that you see in the application. You can choose between light and dark themes:

• Dark: The dark theme is best for darker environments or when you do not need as much contrast.
  • Light: The light theme is best for lighter environments, when you need more contrast, or when you are projecting the application for others to view. Since some views are not affected by the theme changes, you may want to choose the light theme for a more cohesive viewing experience.

Your selection only changes how NetWitness appears to you, not other users.

Change my password

Opens the Preferences dialog where you can change your password.

Version

Shows the NetWitness version.

Sign Out

Enables you to log out of NetWitness.

Any selections that you make become effective immediately.

Preferences

To access additional global user preferences, do one of the following:

• For most views, such as Investigate, Dashboard, Reports, netwitness_configureicon_24x21.png (Configure) , or netwitness_adminicon_25x22.png (Admin) , select your username and then select Profile.
  • In the Springboard, Investigate view [Events (formerly Event Analysis)], Respond, Users, Hosts, Files, and some netwitness_configureicon_24x21.png (Configure) views, select your username, for example netwitness_admin_icon_48x13.png, and in the User Preferences dialog click Change my password.

The Preferences dialog shows your current preferences.

changepassw_1231.png

The following tables describe the global application preference options that you can access from the Preferences dialog.

Change My Password Section

This section enables you to change your password. Your administrator defines the appropriate password strength requirements for your NetWitness password, such as minimum password length and minimum number of uppercase, lowercase, decimal, non-Latin alphabetic, and special characters. These requirements are then displayed when changing your password.

The following tables describes the options in the Change My Password section.

Option Description

Old Password

Enter the password that you used to log in to NetWitness.

New Password Enter the password that you want to use for the next login.
Confirm Password Retype the new password.
Reset Password

Updates your user profile with the new password. You will be logged out of NetWitness for the changes to take effect. The new password becomes effective the next time you log in to NetWitness. The password change is applied to your system login and to all NetWitness services on which your account has been added.

If you changed your password, you will be logged out of NetWitness for the changes to take effect. The new password becomes effective the next time you log in to NetWitness.

Application Settings Section

The following tables describes the options in the Application Settings section.

Option Description
Language

(This option applies to NetWitness 11.2 and later.)
Sets the preferred language for the entire NetWitness Platform. The default language is English (United States).

Browser Time Zone

Sets the time zone to use in NetWitness. Your time zone preference is displayed on the toolbar.

Enable Notifications

This checkbox enables and disables notifications for your user account. By default, NetWitness system notifications are enabled when a new user account is created.

Enable Context Menus

This checkbox enables and disables context menus for your user account. By default, context menus are enabled when a new user account is created. Context menus provide additional functions for specific views when you right-click in a view.

Apply

Updates your preferences and applies the changes immediately.