Alarms and Notifications IssuesAlarms and Notifications Issues
This topic describes how to address problems you may encounter with alarms or notifications.
If you are not seeing alarms that you expect to see, make sure that you have configured all the necessary items, as discussed below.
Automatic AlarmsAutomatic Alarms
To see automatic alarms appear on the Alarms screen, the Enable Automatic Monitoring option must be selected.
This option is on the Settings tab ( (Admin) > Event Sources > Settings), and is selected by default. However, at some point someone may have cleared this option.
Manual AlarmsManual Alarms
To see manual alarms appear on the Alarms screen, all of the following conditions must be met:
- The event source must be part of a Group.
- The Group must have a policy with either a low or high (or both) threshold defined.
- The Group Policy must be enabled.
If you are seeing alarms, but are not receiving the expected notifications, make sure that you have configured all the necessary items, as discussed below.
Also, make sure that you have correctly configured the Notification Servers and Notification Outputs. Much of the preliminary configuration for Notifications is done from (Admin) > System > Global Notifications. For details, see the Global Notifications Panel topic in the System Configuration Guide.
Automatic NotificationsAutomatic Notifications
To have the system send automatic notifications, all of the following conditions must be met:
- The Enable Automatic Monitoring option must be selected (this option is selected by default).
- The Enable Notifications From Automatic Monitoring option must be selected. This option is cleared by default, so you or someone in your organization must select it. Navigate to (Admin) > Event Sources > Settings to see this option.
- The event source that triggered the alarm must be in a group that has a policy enabled: note that no thresholds need to be set for automatic notifications.
- The policy must at least one notification configured (either email, SNMP or Syslog).
Manual NotificationsManual Notifications
To have the system send manual notifications (that is, a notification which says that a manual alarm was triggered):
- The event source that triggered the alarm must be in a group that has a group policy enabled.
- There must be a threshold set for the policy.
- At least one notification has been configured for the policy.