Services Explore ViewServices Explore View
You can use the NetWitness Services Explore view ( (Admin) > Services, > View > Explore) to display and edit both host and service configurations.
The Services Explore view offers advanced access and control of all NetWitness hosts and services. All services expose their functionality through a treelike series of nodes, similar to the Windows Explorer view of a Windows file system. Here you can:
- View a directory tree showing common files for all selected services.
- Navigate down through the directory to a file.
- Open the same file for each service, and display the contents side by side.
- Select an entry in the file and edit the value.
- Apply a property value from one service to other services.
The Services Explore view can also display a Properties dialog, a simple interface for viewing properties of any node in the system and sending messages to the node.
Caution: A good understanding of the nodes and parameters is required when editing in this view. Incorrect settings can cause performance problems.
What do you want to do?
|User Role||I want to...||Documentation|
|Administrator||set up a host.|
|Administrator||maintain a host.||Maintaining Hosts|
|maintain a service.|
|Administrator||view and edit host and service configurations.*||Explore and Edit Service Property Tree|
* You can perform these tasks in the current view.
- View Topology Details
- Edit Service Dialog
- Services Config View
- Services Logs View
- Services Security View
- Services Stats View
- Services System View
- Services View
The Services Explore View has two main panels:
- The Node list
- The Monitor panel
You can right-click on a file to access the Properties for the file. See Services Explore View - Properties Dialog for more information.
The Node List
The Node list displays the services as a tree-like series of nodes and folders. The levels in the Node list expand and collapse to display the full hierarchy.
Each root folder is named based on the functionality it exposes. For instance, the /connections folder shows all connected IP addresses. Underneath each IP address or port in the list are two folders, sessions and stats.
- The sessions folder displays all authenticated user sessions originating from the IP/Port.
- The stats folder displays values, such as the number of messages sent or received, bytes sent or received, and other values set by the service. These are not editable.
Selecting any folder in the tree view displays its children in the Monitor panel. Every node in the tree is actively monitored, so when a statistic or configuration node changes value, it is immediately reflected in the tree and Monitor panel.
The Monitor Panel
The Monitor panel displays properties and values for a selected node (such as index) and a child folder (such as config). There are two ways to edit values:
- Click the value and type a new value
- Send a set message in the Properties dialog