Troubleshooting the User Interface

This section describes common issues that users may face during setup and provides basic troubleshooting information.

Basic Troubleshooting Tips for User Setup

The following table provides basic troubleshooting tips that may be helpful for user setup in NetWitness.

Problem Troubleshooting Tip

When I log in to NetWitness, I see the wrong default view.

Verify that the correct default view is set in the Default Landing Page field in your user preferences. If you select the Dashboard view, you can select the predefined dashboard that is most appropriate for your SOC role. You can also import or create your own dashboard.

I see the correct view, but the metadata does not load.

Make sure that you are using the latest version of the browser. If that does not work, try using another browser. For example, if you are using Safari, try using Firefox or Chrome.

I am using Internet Explorer 10 and I get the following error:
The page can't be displayed.

NetWitness supports current versions of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.

When I log in, I cannot see anything.

See your administrator, you may need a user role assigned to your account or additional troubleshooting.

I can't see where to change my default landing page.

Go to the User Preferences in the Respond view or Events view (formerly Event Analysis view) or see your administrator.

Analyst User Interface Dashlet Issue

Problem Cause

Solution

I see the following error message on my dashboard: The underlying chart for this dashlet is unavailable.

This scenario occurs on an Analyst UI deployment when an Analyst creates a dashboard on one NetWitness Server, logs in to another NetWitness Server, and tries to view a dashboard that the Analyst did not share.

Share the dashboard to view the data. For more information, see Sharing a Dashboard.

Springboard Issue

Problem Cause

Solution

I see the following error message on a Springboard panel: Filter definition is missing! Edit the panel to remove the filter or update with a new filter.

A query profile that is used to filter events in the panel may have been deleted in the Investigate view. Springboard panels that use a deleted query profile as a filter do not work.

Edit the Springboard panel to remove the filter or use a different filter. For more information, see Managing the Springboard.

Springboard Fails to Load the Panel Issue

Problem Cause

Solution

I see the following error messages on a Springboard panel: Request timed out! Contact your administrator or refer to the Getting Started Guide on NetWitness Community for details.

• The Springboard panels request time out in 60 seconds.
  • The associated data sources are offline or not reachable.

• Allocated memory is insufficient to execute the query.

• Limit the results by narrowing the time range for the Springboard using the time range field above the panels.
  • Go to the Investigate > Events view and refine the Query Profile used in the panel as described in "Use Query Profile to Encapsulate Common Areas of Investigation" in the Investigate User Guide.

• Make sure that the associated data sources are online.
  • Increase the memory by modifying the max.query.memory parameter setting.

• If the above solution does not work and if the issue still persists, check the service logs in the given order:

• Admin server
    • Investigate server
    • Respective core services

For more information, see “Display System and Service Logs” section in the System Maintenance Guide.

Failed to fetch the results. Refresh the panel. If the issue persists, contact your administrator or refer to the Getting Started Guide on NetWitness Community for details.

Inconsistent Event Panel Count Issue

Problem Cause

Solution

Event count on the panel is inconsistent.

The underlying data sources are offline or not reachable.

Make sure that all underlying data sources are online and refresh the panel. For more information, see Managing the Springboard.